As a property owner/business owner or member of the community in the Somerset West CBD you are no doubt well aware of the problems in the area. Incidents of crime and grime including homelessness, aggressive begging, informal car guards and general urban degradation are escalating. These problems are of great concern and need to be effectively addressed.
Property owners of adjacent communities have already invested in the future of their areas by establishing their own Special Rating Areas commonly known as city improvement districts. A group of concerned property and business owners has taken the initiative to seek solutions to these problems, and they are appealing for your support in establishing a Special Rating Area (SRA) in the Somerset West CBD. Your participation and support in establishing this SRA, will not only be greatly appreciated, it will also lead to significant upgrading of the public urban environment around your property.
What is a Special Ratings Area (SRA)?
- A statutory body established under the SRA by-law of the City of Cape Town previously known as a City Improvement District (CID).
- The SRA is funded by way of an additional rate collected from rate payers by the City of Cape Town and paid to the management board of the proposed Somerset West CBD SRA.
- The additional rate will pay for supplementary municipal services within the defined area such as security, cleansing and other urban upgrade initiatives as described in a business plan.
Why do we need the SRA?
- It will reduce crime, grime and homelessness though improved management of the area.
- It will provide a safer, cleaner and friendlier public environment.
- Public space will be upgraded and property values tend to increase within SRA’s.
How does it work?
- ‘Top up’ services will be added to those provided by the City.
- The additional rate may only be used for services in the designated area as outlined in the agreed business plan.
- An SRA provides property owners with a direct say in the management of the designated area.
SPECIAL RATES AREA for SOMERSET WEST CBD
For more information please also contact:
Chairman of the SOMERSET WEST BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT